Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Where this blue dog lies - my political leanings

I have a very diverse political background. My father was a staunch republican, my mother a moderate democrat. I come from a strong Catholic family, but have sisters who are members of NOW. So, that being said, I would describe myself as a “Bill Clinton democrat”. Here are some of my positions:

  • Abortion: Let’s get the biggie out of the way early. I am pro-choice, which is somewhat controversial for a Mormon. I just don’t believe in criminalizing abortion. However, I do favor waiting periods, notification of some responsible party for minors (although I recognize this might not always be a parent). I completely endorse the position of President Clinton - that abortion should be safe, legal and rare.
  • National Defense: As a veteran and the son of a World War II veteran, I have strong commitment to national defense. I wouldn’t have chosen the war in Iraq, but I feel we need to complete the job as well as we are able. In the future, I would hope that we will be more intelligent about the use of our military resources, and use them in places where there is a more direct threat to America (like we did in Afhganistan).
  • Social Programs: Again, I am with President Clinton on this issue. He said the era of big government is over. I believe there can be a mix of public and private money, working together, to make things better for people. I believe strongly in the free enterprise system, but am NOT a believer in the idea that all government is bad. I think the answer to bad government isn’t no government, it’s better government.

Anyway...that's where I am. I'd love to hear where you are.

1 comment:

RightDemocrat said...

I believe in an activist role by government but also want our tax money to be used efficiently. In my view, big business is too powerful and markets need to have some regulation to protect workers, consumers and investors.

In terms of economic issues, I am a progressive populist but have some definite conservative leanings on social issues, national defense and security. Basically I am an old-fashioned labor Democrat who believes in traditional moral values and nationalism.